The BioMar Project
"Marine coastal zone management: identification, description and mapping of biotopes"
- National Parks and Wildlife, Dúchas - The Heritage Service, 51 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland (NPW)
- Dr Mark J. Costello, Environmental Sciences Unit, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
- Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. (TCD)
- Marine Nature Conservation Review of the Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, Peterborough, PE1 1UA, UK. (JNCC)
- University of Newcastle-on-Tyne, Department of Marine Sciences and Coastal Management, University of Newcastle, Newcastle-upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK. (Newcastle)
- AIDEnvironment, Donker Curtiusstraat 7-523, 1051 JL Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Martin Ryan Institute, University College Galway, Glaway, Ireland.
- Aqua-Fact International Ltd., Galway, Ireland.
Develop a system for surveying marine biotopes (i.e. habitats, fauna, and flora), and storing, analysing and presenting this data for conservation management.
- survey marine biotopes of the Republic of Ireland (TCD)
- map and review coast-land biotopes of Ireland (NPW)
- provide list of coastal sites in Ireland for inclusion in NATURA 2000 (sites to be protected under the EC Habitats Directive) (NPW)
- assess remote survey methods for marine biotopes (Newcastle)
- develop computerised databases and mapping systems for marine conservation management (TCD and JNCC)
- develop a classification system for marine biotopes of the North East Atlantic (JNCC)
- provide an inventory of marine protected areas in Europe (AIDEnvironment)
September 1992 to June 1997
BioMar was part-funded by the Commission of the European Union LIFE programme